Friday, February 15, 2013

Breaking All Those Bad, Unhealthy Habits

Sometimes gaining an excessive amount of weight can be attributed to bad habits that develop over years of living in an unhealthy manner. These bad habits become so automatic, we don't even realize the damage we are doing to our bodies until someone such as a doctor advises us to lose weight due to health concerns.

If losing weight is now a priority in your life, like it has become in my life, one of the first things you must do is take a look at the manner in how you live. You may be surprised at some of the bad habits you may have developed when it comes to how you live your day to day life. I was sure surprised and a bit embarrassed when I stopped to analyze what I did on a regular basis.

If you want to have any chance of truly losing weight and getting into shape, then you will definitely need to change some of the bad habits. For example, I used to regularly stop and eat fast food 3-4 times a week after work as I was driving home. At the time I really didn't consider this manner of eating bad, or detrimental in any way. It was just my dinner.

This was one of the most important bad habits I needed to break especially since most times when I would frequent one of these places, it was generally to get a double bacon cheeseburger, large fries and large soda. To make matters worse, since you are permitted to refill your drink when you dine in, I would usually drink two or sometimes even three large sodas while eating my meal. Add up all those calories and that one meal was well over 2,000+ which is more than enough for an entire day's worth!

That was one terrible, bad habit that I got myself used to.

I had grown so used to this routine, I would simply eat this way four to five times each and every week. Now that my focus is on eating healthy and exercising regularly, these types of fast food meals are a thing of the past.

Another bad habit that I found myself needing to correct was snacking while watching television or a movie. I used to regularly eat chips, ice cream, or other unhealthy snacks while sitting on the couch watching my favorite weekly tv shows or when watching a movie on a cable station.

If you stop and really think about the enormous amount of unhealthy calories consumed during these snacking scenarios you will see how quickly the total can pass the 1,000 calorie mark. To make matters worse, this is not even considered one of the main meals of the day!

That hand and mouth go into automatic mode and pretty soon you end up with an empty bag, box, or container sitting in your lap. Has that every happened to you before?

This is definitely another bad habit that needs to be stopped if you want to be successful losing weight.

When you are positively ready to start tackling the process of losing weight, in addition to eating in a more healthy manner and getting regular exercise, you need to identify possible bad habits that you may have. You will be much more successful when you ensure that you cover all the aspects of weight loss and not let subtle yet detrimental situations creep into your healthy agenda.

Take full control of every decision that crosses your path on a daily basis and you will see the weight start dropping off your body the way you want it to. When you are able to rid yourself of those bad habits that help lead towards obesity, you will find yourself in better control doing what is healthy and positive for your life.

Gregory L. Gomez, M. Ed, has been teaching 5th grade in the LAUSD for 12 years and has recently embarked on a journey to lose weight, eat healthier, and finally get in shape! Follow his progress on http://healthychoicesinlife.com/ as he strives to lose 60 pounds through dedicated exercise and eating healthy. From healthy eating guides to a step-by-step manual to help tackle the process of losing weight, readers will find the latest information to combat the rising obesity epidemic and start getting into shape at http://healthychoicesinlife.com/how-to-reduce-weight-today.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment